Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hello Family and Friends,
So... I am suffering from short-term memory loss. I have a hard time remembering things now and I think it's because of transfers or I'm just tired. Yes, missionary work is tiring... Fun but tiring. :D And I get really crazy especially yesterday, I suddenly became a manic, hyperactive missionary, letting out my bubbly/funny/crazy side and I felt super drained or drunk (with water!) by the time we went back home to the apartment.
I think one of the things that I could remember the past week is that I have been talking to a lot of Chinese people. I have been really practicing my Mandarin. I don't even remember much who they are except for three people. The two of them are friends from Taiwan whose surnames are Ye and Huang (姓) and they asked me a lot of questions about Temple Square. I met them last Tuesday and they told me my Mandarin is good (every chinese people I talk to say that because I'm wearing the Philippine Flag but I look Chinese, and they say I have a Southern Chinese accent. Example, someone from Guandong. I don't even speak Cantonese! XD). Another one is surnamed Chen 陈, whom I helped look for a taxi to go to her inn. She must've just arrived in Salt Lake City. Aside from Chinese people, I am also seeing a lot of Filipinos this week and one of the weirdest coincidences is that I went to the restroom for a while during desk assignment, and a few minutes later, there was this Filipina who was waiting at the desk for me, pretty excited and the first thought that came to me is that if I knew her by any chance... And being missionary minded, I might think I do know her from the spirit world but my mind at that time was focused on the present that I am on earth as a missionary. And no, I did not know her prior to that meeting. She was just excited to see a Filipina Sister (who looks like chinese... because I am half. :P)
We have had miracles last week even though we are a little bit struggling. We have been getting chats and some of them are pretty (Golden). I have received inspiring words after seeing the psychologist last week where she quoted late President Hinckley, 

"It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."
What I love about this quote is that it helps me identify if I'm distorting my thoughts and thinking negatively. I then start to think positively and it has given me the motivation to work as hard as I could. The more positive I become, the more that I could see my strengths and work as hard as I could every day. In fact, yesterday, my companion and I prayed in our hearts that this transfer, we would find someone that we can teach and will be able to progress for a solid baptismal date this transfer to achieve our goal and to help him towards enduring to the end. And we found him! He's name is Matthew from Ontario, Canada and he has the same situation as William, who felt drawn to the church and wanted to improve and have a better life.

​Missionary work is really amazing and inspiring. The more that you work, the more you discover yourself and appreciate the blessings that God has given. As you realize these things, you share this gospel and blessings with every body that you could possibly meet and the cycle continues. It is missionary FUN! We've talked to some youth who wanted to serve missions and we encourage them to do so, to become closer to God and to help others do so too. I know that this is the Lord's will, this is the Lord's work and that He qualifies whom He has called to participate in this great and marvelous work and wonder. And He will labor with us if we strive to do our best.
Go forth with Faith! Jacob 5:72