Thursday, February 26, 2015

Things that I have learned from Georgia Atlanta North Mission:

 1. Consecration and Sanctification

Consecration is to make something sacred, which includes our time, our talents, our everything in the service of the Lord. Sanctification means to cleanse ourselves from worldly influences, such as music that we listen to, our thoughts and actions and to present ourselves as representatives or emissaries of our Savior Jesus Christ. As we consecrate and sanctify ourselves, we would understand the "why" and the "how" of the Lord's work and trust in His will and timing. This will also help us, as missionaries, focused on our purpose as stated in Preach My Gospel.

2. The Power of the Atonement

None of us are perfect. Our leaders, our investigators, the members in the church or even we make different mistakes and sometimes those mistakes happen over and over again. There are times that we may also feel inadequate about ourselves especially when we strive to aim for perfection. That's when the power of the Atonement comes in. It can change us, bless us or even motivate us to do better. We may fall short, but to remember how much the Savior has done so that we can be here makes all the difference. It is through our mission experiences, especially the hard times, that helps us become shoulder to shoulder with the Greatest Missionary that has ever lived.

3. You were sent here for a reason

There are times that we feel discouraged because we don't have any people to teach but we've had a lot of less-active members that we visit. We sometimes fail to see that there are different points of view and that you were there for a specific reason. We just have to find that reason. One thing that has helped me understand this principle was on my second area outbound, we literally had no people to constantly teach because none of them are progressing, our finding efforts were in vain. My companion reassured me that I came to that area at a wonderful time because we were there to help the area grow, to strengthen church members. And once that happens, then the Lord will bless us with people to teach because He can trust the members in that ward to take good care of those people once we missionaries leave or get transferred. It was so good to know that I left my area better than I found it because I understood why I was there.

4. Serve your companion first before serving others.

I got along great with my companions, because I made sure I served them first. I let them feel how much I love them, cared for them and I am willing to be there when they needed me. The more that you love your companions, the more you will develop that unity and the investigators can see that. They see how they can trust you because if they see it in your companionship, they will know that you will also treat them with the same respect and love that you have for your fellow missionary. Saying goodbye to my companion outbound was the hardest because we grew together, learned from each other and most especially, loved each other through ups and downs.

5. Remember the Covenants that you've made in the Temple.

Before we came here on a mission, we've made covenants with God in His Holy House to sacrifice all that we have, even our lives if necessary, to help build up the kingdom of God here on earth. This also relates to consecrating and sacrificing ourselves. The Lord promised us with power and protection through these covenants as long as we remain true and faithful to them. I never had the chance to go through the Temple while I was outbound, but I knew that these covenants were true and I have seen it work in my missionary experiences.

6. Be a Preach My Gospel Missionary

My last companion outbound complimented me in one of her weekly updates that one thing that she learned from me was to be a Preach My Gospel Missionary. I have entirely forgotten what that meant but I did remember that I tried my very best to follow the principles that were taught in Preach My Gospel. Back outbound, I would make sure that I would have 30 minutes of scripture study and 30 minutes of Preach My Gospel study so that I would understand more of the doctrines being taught in it and to apply it in my daily life. When my investigators see that I am living what I preach, I become a teacher by example and not just through lip-service. It can create a lasting impact for them.

7. You fear NO MAN!

Lastly, but not the least, is that it is okay to be awkward when contacting and tracting. Sometimes we may say the wrong things or make a fool out of ourselves but it's okay. We always have room for improvement. And something that I tell myself is that if I sound awkward and they would still be willing to learn more about the gospel, then they are really prepared by the Lord. It also means not to fear what others think but to think most of what Heavenly Father thinks, and He thinks you are doing a great job because you've exercised the faith to open your mouth and to declare what He wanted you to say and testified.

- Sister Ngo (Philippines)