Saturday, September 28, 2013

Doing the Lord's Errand...

About three nights ago, I watched two LDS movies that gave me some lessons on how to be an effective missionary. The first one was about the life of President Gordon B. Hinckley, entitled "Gordoon B. Hinckley: A Giant Among Men"

As a young boy, President Hinckley did a lot of things that made him learn lessons that he would bring throughout his life. He was already prepared to become a prophet and lead the people of the world in these latter-days. The lessons he learned as a boy made him become what he is as a man and he shared these lessons to the people of the church during conferences. What inspires me the most is the great testimony that President Hinckley has about the gospel. One of the lessons he learned as a missionary was to "Forget [himself] and go to work" as counseled by his father when he was in the verge of discouragement during his mission.

With president Hinckley's life, I learned a lot of lessons as well and I could relate to these lessons. His life wasn't easy, he wasn't born immediately to become a prophet, he need to be trained and prepared for his future calling. He need to "learn by study and also by faith." He was one of the people who exemplified the life of the Saviour Jesus Christ. To become a great man, he must understand the Lord's plan for him and to follow the Lord's will. President Hinckley's parents taught him that as well.

I'm not into favoritism of prophets or anything because I know each and everyone had a certain role and responsibility at the certain period of time, but I grew up during the time where President Hinckley was a Prophet and I had witnessed the extraordinary contribution to church growth and modernization of missionary work and is now being continued by President Thomas S. Monson. I could learn from his great strength and courage to endure much of life's greatest challenges as well as his love for God and charity among all men, regardless of age, race, sex or sect.

Another movie I was able to watch right after was The Errand of Angels about a woman (or girl) who wanted to become a good missionary during her mission in Austria.

At first I was intrigued with the movie, thinking of what lessons I could learn and apply once I set foot on my mission. I was caught by the soundtrack "As Sisters in Zion" and was surprised that the song started with the second verse of the original composition "The errand of angels is given to women; and this is a gift that as sisters, we claim: to do whatsoever is gentle and human, to cheer and to bless in humanity's name." I then pondered on the line and it ended up becoming one of my favorite hymns.

As I watched the movie, great is the lesson that I've learned and I remembered what my mom used to say during our Family Home Evenings regarding mission.
"In your mission, you will not only learn how to serve others, but you will also learn about relationships: on how to deal with your companion first before dealing with those you teach."
This was the major lesson I've learned from the movie. Attention! Spoiler Alert! When Sister Taylor was assigned to be Sister Keller's companion, they weren't in good terms at first because Sister Taylor, as she didn't know, was being prideful and arrogant. There were two things though that I've learned from the movie.
1. Missionary Work or being a Full-Time Missionary is not about quota. It's not about just preaching the gospel and expecting to get as many baptisms as you can. It is about making people understand the gospel through your example. It is about truly converting someone by making them know the importance of centering the gospel in their lives and coming closer to God by first and foremost, strengthening their faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement.
2. This verse is the main highlight of the movie.
"And no one can assist in this work except he shall be ahumble and full of blove, having faith, hope, and charity, being temperate in all things, whatsoever shall be centrusted to his care." - Doctrine and Covenants 12:8

The verse spoke much to me. I remembered that part in the movie focused on the Saviour's teaching to "love thy neighbor as thyself." Who then is my neighbor? My companion. We need to love our companions first in order to have unity and to have the Holy Ghost constantly with us when we work. As my mom used to say, the first person I come in contact with in my mission is my companion. My Mission companion is a similitude of my future eternal companion and my mission field is a training ground for my marriage for time and eternity. These principles made me think that my mom as well as other Returned Missionaries I know were right. How can I effectively teach and convert someone when I, myself, never applied what I am teaching? I then looked forward to these experiences and the more I look forward to it, the more excited I become.

Over-all the movies where great and it was actually NOT a waste of time. What I thought of watching for just entertainment purposes was more of a lesson for me that made me realize how much I should prepare with the time I have left. I know that if I truly apply these lessons, I will become a good missionary and be trained to practice the Christlike Attributes being taught in the church. I know that I could do it if I would try to become an example to those I teach and those I am with and I hope to share this things to the world.

♥ Sister Ngo